CDL Practice Test Prep Program
If you are not a resident of SOUTH DAKOTA please
You must obtain and maintain your CDL in your state of residence. This is normally the state where your regular driver\'s license was issued. If you plan on moving soon, you may want to choose your new state of residence.
South Dakota CLP CDL Learner's Permit
How to obtain a South Dakota CLP CDL Learner's Permit. Step by Step.
How to obtain a South Dakota CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit)
- The first step is to get a free copy of the South Dakota CDL Manual - SD CDL Handbook. The South Dakota manual is available in the South Dakota field locations, downloaded from the South Dakota website and printed. South Dakota has its own process to get your South Dakota CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit).
- The second step is to decide which type of vehicle and what kind of driving you want to get the CDL for.
- There are 3 classes of South Dakota CDLs with endorsements for specialized qualifications for vehicles like school buses, tank trucks, tractor trailers, etc. Each types of South Dakota CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit) and endorsement requires you pass a skills test and in some cases a written test. It is important to make sure you pass all the required tests or risk having restrictions on your license.
Step 1: Get the South Dakota Commercial Learners Permit (SD CLP)
Step 2: Get the South Dakota Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
Checklist . . .
- Possess current valid regular driver's license in South Dakota.
- Show proof of Social Security number (Social Security card, payroll check stub, W-2 Form).
- For interstate driving, submit proof of DOT Medical Certificate. For intrastate driving, complete an application which includes a statement certifying that you meet medical and driver qualifications. If you have had any change in your physical condition since your last driver license renewal which may affect your ability to drive, you may need a special form from the branch office for your physician to fill out before you can apply for your license.
- Meet driver record eligibility requirements as determined by your South Dakota DMV office personnel.
- Pass the required knowledge and vision tests. You must pass all required knowledge tests to obtain a South Dakota CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP). This allows you to practice driving under supervision of a driver who has a CDL for the type of vehicle you wish to drive. A South Dakota CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) is also required for taking the SD CDL skills tests. If you do not pass a knowledge test on your first attempt, you must wait one day to retake the test. There is a one-day wait period for any subsequent retest.
- Pay your South Dakota CDL fees.
- Schedule your South Dakota CDL skills test.
- Upon successfully passing your Skills Tests, return to the South Dakota DMV office.
- Receive your South Dakota CDL.