CDL Learner Permit Training
If you are not a resident of SOUTH CAROLINA please
You must obtain and maintain your CDL in your state of residence. This is normally the state where your regular driver\'s license was issued. If you plan on moving soon, you may want to choose your new state of residence.
How To Get Your South Carolina CDL
Procedures, requirements, fees, locations, etc. to get your South Carolina CDL. Fast - Efficient.
How to obtain a South Carolina Commercial Driver's License
Getting a South Carolina CDL involves several steps. There are medical requirements and residency requirements besides knowledge and skills requirements.
- The first step is to get a free copy of the South Carolina CDL Manual - SC CDL Handbook. The manual is available in their field locations, downloaded from their website and printed. Each state has its own processes to getting your South Carolina CDL.
- The second step is to decide which type of vehicle and what kind of driving you want to get the license for.
- There are 3 classes of South Carolina CDLs with endorsements for specialized qualifications for vehicles like school buses, tank trucks, tractor trailers, etc. Each types of South Carolina CDL and endorsement requires you pass a skills test and in some cases a written test. It is important to make sure you pass all the required tests or risk having restrictions on your license.
Step 1: Get the South Carolina Commercial Learners Permit (SC CLP)
A South Carolina Commercial Learners Permit (SC CLP) is a permit that only authorizes you to practice on public roads with a qualified South Carolina CDL holder sitting next to you. Getting the permit involves more than just passing all the knowledge tests for the type of driving you want to do. To make sure that you are eligible your driving record is checked for the last 10 years in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. You need to bring in the proof that your state accepts to show that you are medically qualified. Most types of commercial driving require a DOT medical card, requiring a DOT physical. Your state may require specific documents it wants to see to prove your name and proof of residency. There are fees for getting the South Carolina CLP. Reading and following the instructions found in your specific South Carolina CDL Information will streamline the process.
Step 2: Get the South Carolina Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
You are required to possess the South Carolina CLP for 14 days before taking the Skills Test. Some states require the successful completion of South Carolina CDL training prior to testing. Regardless, it is highly recommended that you practice the inspection tests and maneuvers in the South Carolina CDL Manual that you will be tested on with a qualified individual before showing up for the test. You must pass all 3 parts of the Skills Test: the Vehicle Inspection Test, the Basic Controls Test, and the Road Test. Your state may even allow you to use their "training aid" to help you remember items on the vehicle inspection checklist. Taking the Skills test is no guarantee that you will pass. Once you have passed the Skills Test you need to take the documentation to the counter for processing. Some states will give you the South Carolina CDL that same day, while others send it to you in the mail. Regardless make sure that everything is correct before you leave the counter. It can be costly and embarrassing if you find a mistake later.
Checklist . . .
- Possess current valid regular driver's license in South Carolina.
- Show proof of Social Security number (Social Security card, payroll check stub, W-2 Form).
- For interstate driving, submit proof of DOT Medical Certificate. For intrastate driving, complete an application which includes a statement certifying that you meet medical and driver qualifications. If you have had any change in your physical condition since your last driver license renewal which may affect your ability to drive, you may need a special form from the branch office for your physician to fill out before you can apply for your license.
- Meet driver record eligibility requirements as determined by your South Carolina DMV office personnel.
- Pass the required knowledge and vision tests. You must pass all required knowledge tests to obtain a South Carolina CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP). This allows you to practice driving under supervision of a driver who has a CDL for the type of vehicle you wish to drive. A South Carolina CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) is also required for taking the SC CDL skills tests. If you do not pass a knowledge test on your first attempt, you must wait one day to retake the test. There is a one-day wait period for any subsequent retest.
- Pay your South Carolina CDL fees.
- Schedule your South Carolina CDL skills test.
- Upon successfully passing your Skills Tests, return to the South Carolina DMV office.
- Receive your South Carolina CDL.
"I needed to get my CDL permit before starting my skills training the following week. I started using it two minutes after my purchase. Got my CDL permit with time to spare. I highly recommend it." - P.M., Rochester, NY
"I passed my CDL tests easily. I'm not a good reader, so the voice audio really helped me. The interactive quizzes and video practice tests were great." - S.T., Odessa, TX
"I went back and forth between the text and diagram study material, narrated audio, videos, interactive quizzes, etc. Kept me from getting bored. I found the tests easy after studying your CDL course. 'Telling my friends." - A.M., Charlotte, NC