CDL Practice Test Prep Program
If you are not a resident of PENNSYLVANIA please
You must obtain and maintain your CDL in your state of residence. This is normally the state where your regular driver\'s license was issued. If you plan on moving soon, you may want to choose your new state of residence.
Pennsylvania CLP CDL Learner's Permit
How to obtain a Pennsylvania CLP CDL Learner's Permit. Step by Step.
How to obtain a Pennsylvania CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit)
- The first step is to get a free copy of the Pennsylvania CDL Manual - PA CDL Handbook. The Pennsylvania manual is available in the Pennsylvania field locations, downloaded from the Pennsylvania website and printed. Pennsylvania has its own process to get your Pennsylvania CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit).
- The second step is to decide which type of vehicle and what kind of driving you want to get the CDL for.
- There are 3 classes of Pennsylvania CDLs with endorsements for specialized qualifications for vehicles like school buses, tank trucks, tractor trailers, etc. Each types of Pennsylvania CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit) and endorsement requires you pass a skills test and in some cases a written test. It is important to make sure you pass all the required tests or risk having restrictions on your license.
Step 1: Get the Pennsylvania Commercial Learners Permit (PA CLP)
Step 2: Get the Pennsylvania Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
Checklist . . .
- Possess current valid regular driver's license in Pennsylvania.
- Show proof of Social Security number (Social Security card, payroll check stub, W-2 Form).
- For interstate driving, submit proof of DOT Medical Certificate. For intrastate driving, complete an application which includes a statement certifying that you meet medical and driver qualifications. If you have had any change in your physical condition since your last driver license renewal which may affect your ability to drive, you may need a special form from the branch office for your physician to fill out before you can apply for your license.
- Meet driver record eligibility requirements as determined by your Pennsylvania DMV office personnel.
- Pass the required knowledge and vision tests. You must pass all required knowledge tests to obtain a Pennsylvania CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP). This allows you to practice driving under supervision of a driver who has a CDL for the type of vehicle you wish to drive. A Pennsylvania CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) is also required for taking the PA CDL skills tests. If you do not pass a knowledge test on your first attempt, you must wait one day to retake the test. There is a one-day wait period for any subsequent retest.
- Pay your Pennsylvania CDL fees.
- Schedule your Pennsylvania CDL skills test.
- Upon successfully passing your Skills Tests, return to the Pennsylvania DMV office.
- Receive your Pennsylvania CDL.
"Your CDL program was CHEAP compared to what it includes. I passed all my CDL tests the first time. I'm sending my friends your way. Thank you, thank you, thank you!" - M.K., Jacksonville, FL
"I passed my CDL tests easily. I'm not a good reader, so the voice audio really helped me. The interactive quizzes and video practice tests were great." - S.T., Odessa, TX
"I bought a shoddy product from someone else. I failed. Thought I'd try your CDL test prep product before trying again. Like night and day! Your program was 10 times better. Passed my CDL tests like a breeze. Thank you very much." - S.K., Tioga, ND