CDL Practice Test Prep Program
If you are not a resident of NEW YORK please
You must obtain and maintain your CDL in your state of residence. This is normally the state where your regular driver\'s license was issued. If you plan on moving soon, you may want to choose your new state of residence.
How To Get Your New York CDL
Procedures, requirements, fees, locations, etc. to get your New York CDL. Fast - Efficient.
How to obtain a New York Commercial Driver's License
- The first step is to get a free copy of the New York CDL Manual - NY CDL Handbook. The manual is available in their field locations, downloaded from their website and printed. Each state has its own processes to getting your New York CDL.
- The second step is to decide which type of vehicle and what kind of driving you want to get the license for.
- There are 3 classes of New York CDLs with endorsements for specialized qualifications for vehicles like school buses, tank trucks, tractor trailers, etc. Each types of New York CDL and endorsement requires you pass a skills test and in some cases a written test. It is important to make sure you pass all the required tests or risk having restrictions on your license.
Step 1: Get the New York Commercial Learners Permit (NY CLP)
Step 2: Get the New York Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
Checklist . . .
- Possess current valid regular driver's license in New York.
- Show proof of Social Security number (Social Security card, payroll check stub, W-2 Form).
- For interstate driving, submit proof of DOT Medical Certificate. For intrastate driving, complete an application which includes a statement certifying that you meet medical and driver qualifications. If you have had any change in your physical condition since your last driver license renewal which may affect your ability to drive, you may need a special form from the branch office for your physician to fill out before you can apply for your license.
- Meet driver record eligibility requirements as determined by your New York DMV office personnel.
- Pass the required knowledge and vision tests. You must pass all required knowledge tests to obtain a New York CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP). This allows you to practice driving under supervision of a driver who has a CDL for the type of vehicle you wish to drive. A New York CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) is also required for taking the NY CDL skills tests. If you do not pass a knowledge test on your first attempt, you must wait one day to retake the test. There is a one-day wait period for any subsequent retest.
- Pay your New York CDL fees.
- Schedule your New York CDL skills test.
- Upon successfully passing your Skills Tests, return to the New York DMV office.
- Receive your New York CDL.