You must obtain and maintain your CDL in your state of residence. This is normally the state where your regular driver\'s license was issued. If you plan on moving soon, you may want to choose your new state of residence.
MI CDL Skills Training Options | CHEAP Schools
MI CDL Skills Training Options - Cheap and Free CDL Schools, plus other options.
Jump to list of Truck Driving Schools in Michigan
THREE types of Michigan CDL Skills Training Programs
Some large Michigan trucking companies maintain their own Truck Driving Schools. These Michigan trucking companies operated schools can be a good option for responsible individuals who do not have the financial means to pay for a private Michigan truck driving school. Upon satisfactory completion of the program you are employed by the Michigan trucking company that gave you the so called "free" training. The "catch" is that you have to sign a detailed contract before you start training. The contract normally requires you to meet standards at the school and to drive for the company for a specified period of time under specified conditions. If you fail to meet the conditions set forth in the contract, they will make you pay for the training and/or penalties for not fulfilling the contract . . . sometimes as high as $20,000. If you stay healthy and don't have a personal crisis while completing the terms of contract, this can work out just fine. However, in some cases, it has been the financial ruin of many a good man! CAUTION: READ AND UNDERSTAND AND BE PREPARED TO MEET THE CONDITIONS SET FORTH IN THE CONTRACT!
FOUR advantages of Michigan Company Sponsored CDL Schools . . .
- FAST - Usually less than a month
- High Quality Training - Includes followup after you receive your Michigan CDL for successful over-the-road driving (you basically work-for-them so they want you to succeed)
- Little or no up-front tuition (read your contract - they aren't giving you "something for nothing"
- Guaranteed Job! You are pre-qualified to work for the company upon completion of training
Advantages of regular Michigan Truck Driving Schools -
- Competitive - Abundant choices available
- No long term contract
- Fast track to getting your Michigan CDL - as little as two weeks
- Training can be tailored to your needs
List of Michigan Truck Driving Schools . . .
160 Driving Academy – Detroit
160 Driving Academy – Saginaw
ABC Training and Testing
American Workplace Trucking Centers
Baker College – Cadillac
Baker College – Flint
C.D.L. Training Services & Consulting Inc. – Muskegon Community College
Classic Driving School
Coast 2 Coast Truck Driving School
Coast2Coast Truck Driving School
Commercial Transportation Services
Detroit Training Center
Fleet Compliance Group Ltd
Great American Truck Driving School
International Trucking School – Canton
International Trucking School – Lansing
International Trucking School – Monroe
International Trucking School – Warren
Midwest Truck Driving School
MTA Education Center
North Country Heavy Equip School
Pinnacle Truck Driver Training
Professional Drivers Institute Inc
Rivertown CDL Academy
Star Professional Driving School – Cadillac
Star Professional Driving School – Flint
Star Professional Driving School – Grand Rapids
Star Professional Driving School – Lansing
Star Professional Driving School – Muskegon
Star Professional Driving School – Traverse City
Star Professional Driving School – Zalamazoo
Suburban Truck Driver Training School
Trainco – Taylor
Trainco – Washenaw Community College
Tri Area Driving School
Tri Area Driving School
U.S. Truck Driver Training School
US Truck Driver Training Inc
Will one of these cheap or free alternates Michigan Truck Driving Schools work for you?
- Employer Training. A huge percentage of Michigan CDL holders got their Skills training through their employer. Example: an excavation company - the new guy rides along with the old-timer who is a Michigan CDL holder. Once you obtain your Michigan CDL Temporary Permit, YOU can drive the vehicle, with the "old-timer" Michigan CDL holder in the passenger seat to gain experience to pass YOUR skills tests. Most employers want as many of their employees as possible to have a Michigan CDL - using the company vehicle for the skills test if the official skills tester doesn't provide a test vehicle for an additional fee (offered in many locations).
- A Friend or Relative with a Michigan CDL. If you have a friend or relative with a Michigan CDL, you can often go out with them in exchange for helping them with their loads, to obtain your on-the-road experience to pass your skills tests.
- Michigan School Districts often provide the Michigan School Bus CDL skills training for their prospective employees - especially those who already have their Michigan CDL Temporary Permit.
Advantages of CHEAP alternative Michigan CDL skills training
- No tuition - DIRT CHEAP!
- A more "relaxed" environment
- No scheduling problems