CDL Practice Test Prep Program
If you are not a resident of MARYLAND please
You must obtain and maintain your CDL in your state of residence. This is normally the state where your regular driver\'s license was issued. If you plan on moving soon, you may want to choose your new state of residence.
Maryland CLP CDL Learner's Permit
How to obtain a Maryland CLP CDL Learner's Permit. Step by Step.
How to obtain a Maryland CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit)
- The first step is to get a free copy of the Maryland CDL Manual - MD CDL Handbook. The Maryland manual is available in the Maryland field locations, downloaded from the Maryland website and printed. Maryland has its own process to get your Maryland CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit).
- The second step is to decide which type of vehicle and what kind of driving you want to get the CDL for.
- There are 3 classes of Maryland CDLs with endorsements for specialized qualifications for vehicles like school buses, tank trucks, tractor trailers, etc. Each types of Maryland CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit) and endorsement requires you pass a skills test and in some cases a written test. It is important to make sure you pass all the required tests or risk having restrictions on your license.
Step 1: Get the Maryland Commercial Learners Permit (MD CLP)
Step 2: Get the Maryland Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
Checklist . . .
- Possess current valid regular driver's license in Maryland.
- Show proof of Social Security number (Social Security card, payroll check stub, W-2 Form).
- For interstate driving, submit proof of DOT Medical Certificate. For intrastate driving, complete an application which includes a statement certifying that you meet medical and driver qualifications. If you have had any change in your physical condition since your last driver license renewal which may affect your ability to drive, you may need a special form from the branch office for your physician to fill out before you can apply for your license.
- Meet driver record eligibility requirements as determined by your Maryland DMV office personnel.
- Pass the required knowledge and vision tests. You must pass all required knowledge tests to obtain a Maryland CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP). This allows you to practice driving under supervision of a driver who has a CDL for the type of vehicle you wish to drive. A Maryland CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) is also required for taking the MD CDL skills tests. If you do not pass a knowledge test on your first attempt, you must wait one day to retake the test. There is a one-day wait period for any subsequent retest.
- Pay your Maryland CDL fees.
- Schedule your Maryland CDL skills test.
- Upon successfully passing your Skills Tests, return to the Maryland DMV office.
- Receive your Maryland CDL.
"Exactly what I needed. I liked to have all of the study options. The CDL handbook bored me to death. Passed my tests on the FIRST try. I just started driving a school bus last week." - R.N., Virginia Beach, VA
"Just letting you know that I passed my CDL tests the first time and got my Class A CDL permit. Everything I needed was available to me and much more. Thank you." - B.G., Battle Creek, MI
"I went back and forth between the text and diagram study material, narrated audio, videos, interactive quizzes, etc. Kept me from getting bored. I found the tests easy after studying your CDL course. 'Telling my friends." - A.M., Charlotte, NC