You must obtain and maintain your CDL in your state of residence. This is normally the state where your regular driver\'s license was issued. If you plan on moving soon, you may want to choose your new state of residence.
Maryland CDL Requirements | DMV Locations Fees | Forms | FAQs | FREE CDL INFO
Find official Maryland CDL test requirements to get your MD CDL - FREE information - FAST and EFFICIENT.
Maryland CDL Info | Maryland CDL Requirements
- Maryland CDL Renewal/Conversion (Includes CDLIS fee) - $50.00
- Maryland CDL Conversion (Out of State to MD CDL same class. Includes CDLIS fee 5-year license) - $65.00
- Add Motorcycle Class - $45.00
- Maryland CDL Duplicate - $20.00
- Maryland CDL Correction (w/o renewal) - $20.00
- Maryland CDL Skills Retest - $20.00
- Maryland CDL Learner's Permit (Includes CDLIS & Skills Test fees) - $90.00
- Maryland CDL HAZMAT Background Check (BRC) - $88.75
Special Instructions for Maryland (CDL) Commercial Class A, B, & C and Non-Commercial Class A & B (Recreational Vehicles (RV), Fire Apparatus and Farm Vehicles) NOTE: Applicants are eligible to schedule a Maryland commercial driver's license (CDL) skills test or a class A or B noncommercial skills test if they have held their Maryland CDL or Type II non GLS learner's permit for a minimum of 14 days, and who's Maryland driver's license is not currently suspended, revoked, cancelled or disqualified. In addition to a valid license and permit, Maryland CDL applicants must also have a valid Medical Examiner's Certificate (DOT physical card) and a waiver/exemption if required. If you have any issues while registering online for your driving skills test, please call 1-410-768-7000 or 1-800-492-4575 TTY for the Hearing Impaired for assistance in scheduling a skills test appointment. Please listen to the whole message to hear the prompt to press #7, then #2 to speak to a Customer Service Representative so you can schedule an appointment. At the end of this appointment transaction process, you will receive a confirmation number that will assist you in verifying your appointment through our Manage Scheduled Appointments tab on the Appointment Scheduling System. You can use this confirmation number and your date of birth to confirm your appointment online or if you need to change or cancel your test appointment. Maryland Commercial and Noncommercial skills test requirements The following items must be presented at the time of your test appointment:
- Valid Maryland Non Commercial or Commercial driver's license as applicable.
- Valid Maryland commercial or non-commercial Class A or B learner's permit. *Obtain a duplicate learner's permit if original is lost, stolen, or mutilated for testing.
- CDL applicants must provide a valid Medical Examiner's Certificate (DOT card) and medical waiver/exemption if applicable.
- Glasses/contacts must be worn for the test, if so restricted.
- Accompanying driver with their valid driver's license: Must be 21 years of age or older and has held a valid Maryland or out-of-state CDL or noncommercial license of the same class or higher that the applicant is testing for, for a minimum of 3 years. CDL accompanying drivers must also present a valid DOT physical card with medical waiver/exemption, if applicable.
- You must provide a valid registration card for the test vehicle including valid registration for any vehicle being towed by the test vehicle (i.e. the trailer on a class A CDL vehicle combination).
- The vehicle(s) must be properly tagged with 1 or 2 tags as required by the issuing state.
- Vehicles that are placarded for hazardous materials may not be used for testing.
- If a rental vehicle is being used, the applicant's name must appear on the rental contact as a driver.
- All test vehicles must have a valid, legible VIN plate/fishplate (contains the vehicle manufacturers GVWR or GVCWR information and its vehicle identification number) that is attached to the vehicle. This includes any vehicle trailer that is towed by the test vehicle.
- The commercial/non-commercial test vehicle(s) must be in safe operating condition for the test.
- The test vehicle(s) must be of the same or lower class/ type as the commercial/ non-commercial learner's permit held by the applicant. (i.e. Restricted A combination instead of a tractor trailer combination).
You will need to pass the Maryland Knowledge Tests that are required for the class of license, restriction, and endorsements you wish to possess. A general knowledge test for the Class A or Class B and C license must be successfully completed by all CDL applicants. The information needed to pass these tests is contained in the FREE Maryland CDL Handbook. Please read and study this manual carefully.
- Class A - 70 Questions (50 GK + 20 Combination Vehicles) - Skills test required.
- Class B - 50 Questions - Skills test required.
- Class C - 50 Questions - Skills test required for bus, school bus and air brakes vehicles..
- Passenger Endorsement - 20 questions - Skills test required in bus.
- School Bus Endorsement - 25 questions - Skills test required in school bus.
- Doubles/Triples Endorsement - 20 questions - No additional skills tests.
- Tank Vehicle Endorsement - 20 questions - No additional skills tests.
- Hazardous Materials Endorsement - 30 questions - No additional skills tests.
- Air Brake Restriction Removal - 25 questions - Additional skills test in vehicle with Air Brakes.
Quickly access the most complete and accurate Official Maryland CDL Information
by the State of Maryland
- Maryland CDL - MAIN Information Page
- Maryland CDL - Driver License Class Codes
- Maryland CDL - Test Scheduling Information
- Maryland CDL - Medical/Physical Requrements
- Maryland CDL - Medical Examination Report - DL171
- Maryland CDL - Medical Self-Certification Requirements
- Maryland CDL - Medical Certification - FAQs
- Maryland CDL - School Bus Endorsement Manual
- Maryland CDL - Hazardous Materials Endorsement Requirements - DL084
- Maryland CDL - Hazardous Materials Endorsement Information
- Maryland MVA Office Hours, Locations and Service Info
- Maryland CDL Fees
- Maryland Fingerprinting Locations
Access Official Federal CDL General Information
Access Official Federal CDL Medical Requirements Info
Access Official Federal CDL Hazardous Materials Info
|CDL Class||Tests Required||Possible Endorsements and Required Tests|
vehicle endorsement required)
General Knowledge Written Exam
Combination Endorsement Written Exam
General Knowledge Written Exam
General Knowledge Written Exam
Road ExamNote: If upgrading to a Class C from a Class D, no road test is required UNLESS the endorsement requires one.
|Exam||Time Allowed (Minutes)||# of Questions on Exam||# of Correct Answers Needed to Pass|