CDL Practice Test Prep Program
If you are not a resident of MAINE please
You must obtain and maintain your CDL in your state of residence. This is normally the state where your regular driver\'s license was issued. If you plan on moving soon, you may want to choose your new state of residence.
Maine CLP CDL Learner's Permit
How to obtain a Maine CLP CDL Learner's Permit. Step by Step.
How to obtain a Maine CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit)
- The first step is to get a free copy of the Maine CDL Manual - ME CDL Handbook. The Maine manual is available in the Maine field locations, downloaded from the Maine website and printed. Maine has its own process to get your Maine CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit).
- The second step is to decide which type of vehicle and what kind of driving you want to get the CDL for.
- There are 3 classes of Maine CDLs with endorsements for specialized qualifications for vehicles like school buses, tank trucks, tractor trailers, etc. Each types of Maine CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit) and endorsement requires you pass a skills test and in some cases a written test. It is important to make sure you pass all the required tests or risk having restrictions on your license.
Step 1: Get the Maine Commercial Learners Permit (ME CLP)
Step 2: Get the Maine Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
Checklist . . .
- Possess current valid regular driver's license in Maine.
- Show proof of Social Security number (Social Security card, payroll check stub, W-2 Form).
- For interstate driving, submit proof of DOT Medical Certificate. For intrastate driving, complete an application which includes a statement certifying that you meet medical and driver qualifications. If you have had any change in your physical condition since your last driver license renewal which may affect your ability to drive, you may need a special form from the branch office for your physician to fill out before you can apply for your license.
- Meet driver record eligibility requirements as determined by your Maine DMV office personnel.
- Pass the required knowledge and vision tests. You must pass all required knowledge tests to obtain a Maine CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP). This allows you to practice driving under supervision of a driver who has a CDL for the type of vehicle you wish to drive. A Maine CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) is also required for taking the ME CDL skills tests. If you do not pass a knowledge test on your first attempt, you must wait one day to retake the test. There is a one-day wait period for any subsequent retest.
- Pay your Maine CDL fees.
- Schedule your Maine CDL skills test.
- Upon successfully passing your Skills Tests, return to the Maine DMV office.
- Receive your Maine CDL.
"A little thank you note. I normally hate studying for tests. Not this time! It was interesting, straight forward and had TONS of different study and practice options. Keep up the good work!" - P.A., Bloomington, MN
"Just what I needed. Prepared me for my Class B CDL. It was fast and efficient. I passed my CDL written tests on my first try. Helped me get a handle on the skills tests so that it went much easier." - A.H., Des Moines, IA
"Your CDL program was CHEAP compared to what it includes. I passed all my CDL tests the first time. I'm sending my friends your way. Thank you, thank you, thank you!" - M.K., Jacksonville, FL