CDL Learner Permit Training
If you are not a resident of KENTUCKY please
You must obtain and maintain your CDL in your state of residence. This is normally the state where your regular driver\'s license was issued. If you plan on moving soon, you may want to choose your new state of residence.
Kentucky 2023 Learner Permit Training Program
How to obtain a Kentucky CDL Learner Permit. Step by Step.
How to obtain a Kentucky CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit)
Getting a Kentucky CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit) involves several steps. There are medical requirements and residency requirements besides knowledge and skills requirements.
- The first step is to get a free copy of the Kentucky CDL Manual - KY CDL Handbook. The Kentucky manual is available in the Kentucky field locations, downloaded from the Kentucky website and printed. Kentucky has its own process to get your Kentucky CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit).
- The second step is to decide which type of vehicle and what kind of driving you want to get the CDL for.
- There are 3 classes of Kentucky CDLs with endorsements for specialized qualifications for vehicles like school buses, tank trucks, tractor trailers, etc. Each types of Kentucky CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit) and endorsement requires you pass a skills test and in some cases a written test. It is important to make sure you pass all the required tests or risk having restrictions on your license.
Step 1: Get the Kentucky Commercial Learners Permit (KY CLP)
A Kentucky Commercial Learners Permit (KY CLP) is a permit that only authorizes you to practice on public roads with a qualified Kentucky CDL holder sitting next to you. Getting the permit involves more than just passing all the knowledge tests for the type of driving you want to do. To make sure that you are eligible your driving record is checked for the last 10 years in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. You need to bring in the proof that your state accepts to show that you are medically qualified. Most types of commercial driving require a DOT medical card, requiring a DOT physical. Your state may require specific documents it wants to see to prove your name and proof of residency. There are fees for getting the Kentucky CLP. Reading and following the instructions found in the specific Kentucky CDL Information will streamline the process.
Step 2: Get the Kentucky Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
You are required to possess the Kentucky CLP for 14 days before taking the Skills Test. Some states require the successful completion of Kentucky CDL training prior to testing. Regardless, it is highly recommended that you practice the inspection tests and maneuvers in the Kentucky CDL Manual that you will be tested on with a qualified individual before showing up for the test. You must pass all 3 parts of the Skills Test: the Vehicle Inspection Test, the Basic Controls Test, and the Road Test. Your state may even allow you to use their "training aid" to help you remember items on the vehicle inspection checklist. Taking the Skills test is no guarantee that you will pass. Once you have passed the Skills Test you need to take the documentation to the counter for processing. Some states will give you the Kentucky CDL that same day, while others send it to you in the mail. Regardless make sure that everything is correct before you leave the counter. It can be costly and embarrassing if you find a mistake later.
Checklist . . .
- Possess current valid regular driver's license in Kentucky.
- Show proof of Social Security number (Social Security card, payroll check stub, W-2 Form).
- For interstate driving, submit proof of DOT Medical Certificate. For intrastate driving, complete an application which includes a statement certifying that you meet medical and driver qualifications. If you have had any change in your physical condition since your last driver license renewal which may affect your ability to drive, you may need a special form from the branch office for your physician to fill out before you can apply for your license.
- Meet driver record eligibility requirements as determined by your Kentucky DMV office personnel.
- Pass the required knowledge and vision tests. You must pass all required knowledge tests to obtain a Kentucky CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP). This allows you to practice driving under supervision of a driver who has a CDL for the type of vehicle you wish to drive. A Kentucky CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) is also required for taking the KY CDL skills tests. If you do not pass a knowledge test on your first attempt, you must wait one day to retake the test. There is a one-day wait period for any subsequent retest.
- Pay your Kentucky CDL fees.
- Schedule your Kentucky CDL skills test.
- Upon successfully passing your Skills Tests, return to the Kentucky DMV office.
- Receive your Kentucky CDL.
"I went back and forth between the text and diagram study material, narrated audio, videos, interactive quizzes, etc. Kept me from getting bored. I found the tests easy after studying your CDL course. 'Telling my friends." - A.M., Charlotte, NC
"Thank you for a great CDL prep course. I needed a CDL quick for a job offer. I was able to pass my tests in less than two weeks. I am making a lot more money than my last job." - T.W., San Jose, CA
"A little thank you note. I normally hate studying for tests. Not this time! It was interesting, straight forward and had TONS of different study and practice options. Keep up the good work!" - P.A., Bloomington, MN