CDL Practice Test Prep Program
If you are not a resident of IOWA please
You must obtain and maintain your CDL in your state of residence. This is normally the state where your regular driver\'s license was issued. If you plan on moving soon, you may want to choose your new state of residence.
Iowa CLP CDL Learner's Permit
How to obtain a Iowa CLP CDL Learner's Permit. Step by Step.
How to obtain a Iowa CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit)
- The first step is to get a free copy of the Iowa CDL Manual - IA CDL Handbook. The Iowa manual is available in the Iowa field locations, downloaded from the Iowa website and printed. Iowa has its own process to get your Iowa CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit).
- The second step is to decide which type of vehicle and what kind of driving you want to get the CDL for.
- There are 3 classes of Iowa CDLs with endorsements for specialized qualifications for vehicles like school buses, tank trucks, tractor trailers, etc. Each types of Iowa CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit) and endorsement requires you pass a skills test and in some cases a written test. It is important to make sure you pass all the required tests or risk having restrictions on your license.
Step 1: Get the Iowa Commercial Learners Permit (IA CLP)
Step 2: Get the Iowa Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
Checklist . . .
- Possess current valid regular driver's license in Iowa.
- Show proof of Social Security number (Social Security card, payroll check stub, W-2 Form).
- For interstate driving, submit proof of DOT Medical Certificate. For intrastate driving, complete an application which includes a statement certifying that you meet medical and driver qualifications. If you have had any change in your physical condition since your last driver license renewal which may affect your ability to drive, you may need a special form from the branch office for your physician to fill out before you can apply for your license.
- Meet driver record eligibility requirements as determined by your Iowa DMV office personnel.
- Pass the required knowledge and vision tests. You must pass all required knowledge tests to obtain a Iowa CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP). This allows you to practice driving under supervision of a driver who has a CDL for the type of vehicle you wish to drive. A Iowa CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) is also required for taking the IA CDL skills tests. If you do not pass a knowledge test on your first attempt, you must wait one day to retake the test. There is a one-day wait period for any subsequent retest.
- Pay your Iowa CDL fees.
- Schedule your Iowa CDL skills test.
- Upon successfully passing your Skills Tests, return to the Iowa DMV office.
- Receive your Iowa CDL.
"Just letting you know that I passed my CDL tests the first time and got my Class A CDL permit. Everything I needed was available to me and much more. Thank you." - B.G., Battle Creek, MI
"Because of test anxiety, I procrastinated until I only had three days left before I needed my CDL permit before purchasing from you. I am holding my CDL permit. I wish I found your web site sooner. Thanks!" - R.K., Hamilton, OH
"I never would have passed if I tried studying without your CDL program. I usually don't do good on tests. This made it interesting and simple." - D.M., Ogden, UT