CDL Practice Test Prep Program
If you are not a resident of INDIANA please
You must obtain and maintain your CDL in your state of residence. This is normally the state where your regular driver\'s license was issued. If you plan on moving soon, you may want to choose your new state of residence.
Indiana CLP CDL Learner's Permit
How to obtain a Indiana CLP CDL Learner's Permit. Step by Step.
How to obtain a Indiana CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit)
- The first step is to get a free copy of the Indiana CDL Manual - IN CDL Handbook. The Indiana manual is available in the Indiana field locations, downloaded from the Indiana website and printed. Indiana has its own process to get your Indiana CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit).
- The second step is to decide which type of vehicle and what kind of driving you want to get the CDL for.
- There are 3 classes of Indiana CDLs with endorsements for specialized qualifications for vehicles like school buses, tank trucks, tractor trailers, etc. Each types of Indiana CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit) and endorsement requires you pass a skills test and in some cases a written test. It is important to make sure you pass all the required tests or risk having restrictions on your license.
Step 1: Get the Indiana Commercial Learners Permit (IN CLP)
Step 2: Get the Indiana Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
Checklist . . .
- Possess current valid regular driver's license in Indiana.
- Show proof of Social Security number (Social Security card, payroll check stub, W-2 Form).
- For interstate driving, submit proof of DOT Medical Certificate. For intrastate driving, complete an application which includes a statement certifying that you meet medical and driver qualifications. If you have had any change in your physical condition since your last driver license renewal which may affect your ability to drive, you may need a special form from the branch office for your physician to fill out before you can apply for your license.
- Meet driver record eligibility requirements as determined by your Indiana DMV office personnel.
- Pass the required knowledge and vision tests. You must pass all required knowledge tests to obtain a Indiana CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP). This allows you to practice driving under supervision of a driver who has a CDL for the type of vehicle you wish to drive. A Indiana CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) is also required for taking the IN CDL skills tests. If you do not pass a knowledge test on your first attempt, you must wait one day to retake the test. There is a one-day wait period for any subsequent retest.
- Pay your Indiana CDL fees.
- Schedule your Indiana CDL skills test.
- Upon successfully passing your Skills Tests, return to the Indiana DMV office.
- Receive your Indiana CDL.
"I needed to get my CDL permit before starting my skills training the following week. I started using it two minutes after my purchase. Got my CDL permit with time to spare. I highly recommend it." - P.M., Rochester, NY
"My husband has driven 18 wheelers for years. A friend of his recommended this CDL package. Passed easily. Now we drive cross country as a team. Your CDL course made it quick and easy." - P.L., Findlay, OH
"I never would have passed if I tried studying without your CDL program. I usually don't do good on tests. This made it interesting and simple." - D.M., Ogden, UT